Member Meeting Minutes
21 March 2023
Call to Order
The Member meeting was called to order at 1:32 pm by President Katie Haugse. A quorum was declared. The meeting was hybrid (in person and by Zoom).
Approval of February Minutes
Pat Jenkins moved that we approve the February 21, 2023 Society Membership Minutes as written. Lynne Hunter seconded. Motion carried.
Treasurer Kim Thurman reported that the numbers reflect that we were more dramatically “in the hole” than previously reported due to an unrealized loss on investment in the endowment fund of $9,804.75. This is because of fluctuations in the stock market.
Kim also noted that if our balance in Banner Bank gets too high, it may be transferred to designated funds, capital improvement, or the endowment fund. The Finance Committee will meet in the near future to determine recommendations for the Board to approve.
Total Income $5,979.20
Total Expense $4,046.81
Net Operating Income $1,932.39
Our Designated Funds are as follows:
Scholarship fund $17,000.00
ODNP $ 2,086.10
Capital Construction $ 1,000.00
Hybrid Project $ 1,000.00
Connie Miller Fund $ 3,541.60
Director’s Summary Reports
- Education Committee: Barbara Halvorsen & Pat Jenkins – Next Education Meeting is April 3rd at 9:30 AM. Anyone wishing to contribute or join the committee is welcome! Watch the Calendar of Events on the website for updates.
- Finance: no report
- Memberships: Margaret Clark-Mayfield – Total membership stands at 639 individuals
- Technology & Data Management: Rich Miles – All subscription websites (except Ancestry) remain accessible from home via our website.
- Library: Anne Billeter – Library was open 20 ½ days in February. Book sale will end March 31, 2023.
- Volunteer: Lynne Hunter – numerous positions are open! Please complete a Volunteer Application under Support Us on our website.
- Next Board Meeting: Monday, April 10, 2023, at 9:30 a.m. at the library. Members Welcome!
- Next Program & Member Meeting: Tuesday, April 18, 2023, at 1:30 p.m., “Hidden in Haarlem” by Sue DeMarinis, limited seating in the library & Zoom
- Upcoming Classes & Programs: Online pre-registration is required at www.rvgslibrary.org to receive a Zoom link the day before the event.
- Thursday, March 23, 2023, 10:30 a.m. – noon, CLASS: “Weaving History Into Family Narrative” by Claire Gebben
- Tuesday, March 28, 2023, 10:30 a.m. – noon, CLASS “Navigating the Illinois State Archives” by Tina Beaird
- Saturday, April 1, 2023, 10:30 a.m. – noon, CLASS: “Lakes, Lumber and Lighthouses: A Genealogical Exploration of Michigan” by Kim Thurman
- Tuesday, April 18, 2023 - 1:30 p.m. Member Meeting - hybrid
- Thursday, April 20, 2023, 1:30 p.m. - Quilt Bed Turning, in person, registration required, information to follow
- Saturday, April 29, 2023, OPEN HOUSE “Getting Ready for the Coronation”, information to follow.
“Backstories from Ashland and Medford” by Joe Peterson.
Mr. Peterson presented a program detailing fascinating historic tales of the Rogue Valley. The growth of Lithia Motors, Jim Parsons’ building mousetrap bases from scrap lumber, tombstones at the Oak Knoll golf course, the penning of Raggedy Ann and Andy and Lolita, the initial rejection of the Carnegie Libraries (and then acceptance) due to Carnegie’s association with “robber barons” and JFK’s visits to the Rogue Valley and subsequent Grand Marshal of the Pear Blossom Parade were just a few of the best kept secrets Mr. Peterson discussed.
Meeting adjourned at 3:04 pm by President Katie Haugse.
Cathy Ullrich, Secretary