The German Interest Group (GIG) is composed of people interested in tracing their German roots, wherever they may be! This often involves research into records from the United States and Canada as well as those from the many countries influenced by what is Germany today. Our goal is to help with your research and to share the resources we’ve found.
During the pandemic, GIG is meeting via Zoom on the second Tuesday of the month, 11:00am – 12:30pm. To join a meeting, see the registration link at the bottom of this page. Attendance is free for RVGS members and $5.00 each visit for non-members.
This site attempts to bring together some of the most useful research sites we have found. Most are free to use. If there is a charge, it’s noted with $. If there is a charge, but is available through RVGS, we note that. Watch for changes! This page is still under development.
Members are often sharing new finds. Have a question? Bring it to the next group meeting or email GermanInterestGroup@rvgslibrary.org
These are links to the massive resources put together by other organizations and research institutions.
Immigration and Emigration.
These are sites with information about families arriving in the United States and Canada from German-speaking areas and German sources listing those leaving for other countries.
- Deciphering and Reading old German. Anyone who’s seen old German print or handwriting knows that it can be a challenge. Here’s help!
- Family History Books (Sippenbuch). These are compilations of family histories found and kept in many towns and provinces in Germany. Many private families have their own as well.
- Jewish Records. Records of Jewish families and life around the world.
- Church Records. Parish records of both Protestant and Catholic events, including birth, marriage, and death records.
- Maps and Atlases. Geography! Germany wasn’t always Germany as we know it.
- German Websites Useful to Genealogists.
- How to Inquire of German Sources.
- Germans in America
- Germans Around the World
- Using Facebook for Genealogical Research.
- Upcoming Events
- Members Only
Yes! I want to come to the next GIG meeting. Register here. Free for members, $5 for non-members. (Returning GIG attendees do not need to register.)